Sunday, March 4, 2012

We have Road Bed

I made it known that I was going to wait until all the cork road bed was laid before I posted any of my progress photos. Well, that time is now. Here are a few photos of how my layout is laid out. I apologize for the bad lighting. I will need to add some good lighting if I want this layout to really look good.



This is my yard at Logan. What you see is the main to the left. I have used HO scale cork for that main as well as the siding. The small yard is made up of all N scale cork. Since my exiting of Montana in 2005, the MRL has added the second track in the yard which brings to what it looks like in this photo. I will have two industries off of far right track as can be seen in the prototype photos. I do not know the names of these businesses as of this point in time but I will soon find out.



This photo is looking the other way. To the right is where MRL's main heads off to Tridant and onto Helena. In real life this main makes a right hand turn, crosses the river and heads off. My layout will show it going straight because of more room and also the fact that I will be punching a hole in the back drop so the track can continue. Right after the branch line, or start of the 5th sub, I will construct the bridge on the main that crosses the river.



This is the view of the other side of the yard. It is a small yard and bends just like the actual Logan yard. The river follows the backdrop right beside the tracks at this point. The cork that is shown on the lower half of this photo is the unfinished lumber yard. I am still deciding how I want the track to be. There will be a switch with two tracks to service this industry.



Last photo is the end of the 5th(actually the end of my layout). This is the Talc plant location. The industry will be located against the backdrop and will have two tracks to service it. The actual place does have two tracks but the join back together with the main. I will not be able to make this work so I just have them stop together. This location also has a siding track or run-around track. So you have main, siding, and then the two industry tracks. The interesting part about this industry is that there is not a yard ladder. The siding has two switches one after the other for the industry tracks. I will attempt to capture that.

The cork will go from HO scale on the main, N scale on the siding and the two industry tracks will sit on the ground.

To the left you will see my spur for the lumber industry that will take a 18" curve around the corner to service the lumber yard. This too is N scale cork. Between that track and the main will be a road to the lumber yard. The actual road in Three Forks is paved but I might keep it as a dirt road. Montana is full of dirt roads and I want to capture a little of that.



As you can see in the photo of where the Talc plant will go I have installed the front fascia board. I used one foot sections and will saw out the contours of the land as I have already done to the right. I have also cut the bottom out on that same piece since that location is my duck under.

The layout is comming along. I will post more photos of the other side a little later. Next will come the laying of the track. The question next is if I will fork out the money and manufacture Fast Tracks switches or use the non-DCC switches that I have while completely repairing them. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment