Sunday, March 13, 2011

Bench Work

I have started the bench work for the layout. First off, I took framework from my old diorama and used it as a starting point. The diorama was to 3x5 parts fastened together to create a length of 10 feet. This section will become the Logan part of the layout where I will need the 3 feet depth. The rest of the layout will only be 2 feet deep.

I used 1x4 pine lumber to make up the benchwork. Since I knew that I was going to place sheets of 1/2 inch plywood over the framework, I spaced out the braces a little farther than I would have regularly.

Since I knew that I was going to be moving in a year or so, I built the layout in sections. The largest section was made 3x5 from the old diorama, but most new sections were the size of 2x4 squares. Here is a photo of my work:


You must excuse the mess. I am not the cleanest person out there, or should I say the most organized. If we do stay in this house longer than I think, then I am either installing garage cabinets or shelving.

Like I stated. I used 1x4 pine for the main part of the structure with 2x2 legs and the 1x2 pieces sticking up will be to hold the backdrop. The top of the benchwork will sit at 48 inches high before plywood and foam. My guess is that my track height will be around 50 inches from the garage floor.

Here are some additional photos of the sheathing placed on top of the bench work:

Next it will be onto the backdrop, electrical, and foam board lamination.

No comments:

Post a Comment