Monday, March 28, 2011

Backdrop

This weekend I finished the construction of my backdrop for the layout. Prior to installing the sheeting I extended a series of 1x2's about 24 inches up from the bench work. I doubled up the ones at each end of a segment piece of bench work. That way if I did have to dismantle the layout, I would not have to pull out my saw and cut my backdrop, and the 1x's would still support the backdrop.

For material I purchased some 1/8"x4'x8' sheets of hardboard called Masonite from Lowe's. The great thing about these sheets are that they are very cheap to purchase (like around $6.50 each). I then had a store employee cut 4 sheets into half length-ways with the big special saw they have. This gave me rips of 24 inches which are plenty big enough for a good backdrop. I then had the employee rip me two halves again to make 1'x8' rips that will become my fascia boards on the front of the layout. From there I started at one spot on the layout and started wrapping the Masonite around until it completed my circle. I fastened it with drywall screws that I counter-sunk with a special bit designed for with my drill.

This is a shot of my old backdrop that I used on my diorama. I wanted to save as much material that I could from that project and use on this layout but it the end it was far better just to replace this panel with a new one.


As you can tell, I did use on little strip of my old backdrop from the diorama which I will repaint over with the new background.


The 1"x2"x24" risers are not the best form of support for this backdrop and I probably would have done it more a structurally sound way to support a upper level of 1x's for lighting and an upper fascia. I didn't feel that I wanted to do that with this layout because I knew that moving was in the near future, and I wanted to make this as light as possible. But, none the less, the risers do work and they do support the Masonite well enough that I don't see any waviness that will be an eyesore.


Well, now it is on to the foam sub-base that will be used for scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment